BWF cancels Hong Kong, Macau Open due to Covid-19

BWF


Kuala Lumpur, Sep 1 : The Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Thursday cancelled the Hong Kong Open 2022 (Super 500) and Macau Open 2022 (Super 300) due to rising Covid-19 situation and complexities of quarantine measures. "In light of the ongoing Covid-19 situation and complexities of quarantine measures in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Badminton Association (HKBA) had been working closely with government authorities to seek special approval on easing some restrictions for event participants," the BWF said in a statement. However, with quarantine restrictions still required for all overseas visitors, HKBA concluded there was no other viable option than to cancel the tournament. "Similarly, after considering all travel and entry restrictions into Macau, and the ongoing health prevention measures in place, Badminton Federation of Macau informed BWF there was no possibility to conduct their tournament this year," the BWF said. The HSBC BWF World Tour continues with the DAIHATSU YONEX Japan Open 2022 this week, before heading to Europe in October for tournaments in Denmark, France, and Germany. /IANS




Related

Badminton Asia Junior C'ship: Unnati Hooda cruises into quarters; Dhruv Negi, Anmol Kharb lose
[Nonthaburi: India shuttler Unnati Hooda in action at the Badminton Asia U-17 & U-15 Junior Championships 2022 in Nonthaburi, Thailand, Thursday, Dec.

Unnati Hooda to lead India's challenge as 36-member squad leave for Asia junior badminton championships
New Delhi, Nov 28 : Rising shuttler Unnati Hooda will be among country's youngsters to battle it out for the titles as a 36-member Indian contingent l

Australian Open: With top stars pulling out, all eyes on Sameer Varma, Mithun Manjunath
Sydney (Australia), Nov 14 : With top stars Lakshya Sen and Kidambi Srikanth pulling out, World No. 33 Sameer Verma and No. 45 ranked Mithun Manjunath